List of inexpensive but effective cough medicines
Cough is a symptom of catarrhal disease, which causes a lot of trouble. Most people with the onset of colds suffer from coughing, working, resting, sleeping normally and eating becomes harder. Discomfort is not only delivered to the sick person, but to everyone around him. When choosing a remedy for coughing, you do not need to self-medicate, it is worthwhile to see a doctor for help and prescribing the drug. But, if you decide to choose a remedy on your own, remember that the medicine should be bought first depending on the type of cough: dry or wet. Here is a list of not only the most effective tools, but also affordable. Cough medicine is inexpensive and effective.What can be coughing to a child of 6 months is indicated in this article.
How to treat a cough and runny nose without fever in a pregnant woman is indicated in the article.
How to treat dry paroxysmal cough, is specified in this article here: http://prolor.ru/g/bolezni-g/kashel/suxoj-pristupoobraznyj.html
How to cure a cough from a baby without temperature, is indicated in this article.
In the absence of phlegm withdrawal cough is called dry. For its treatment, drugs are used:
- The Falimint.By properties similar to menthol. Causes a feeling of coolness and freshness in the mouth. Do not dry the mucous membranes, the effect and cessation of reflex cough is seen after the first application. It is available in the form of dragees for resorption, it can be given to a child, suitable for children from 5 years of age, contraindications, except for minor allergic reactions, does not. Price: 150 rubles.
- Libexin.Has a triple action, reducing the sensitivity of nerve endings, relaxing the bronchi and reducing the reaction to irritation. It is used for the treatment of severe dry cough, the effect is observed within four hours after administration. Produced in the form of tablets and syrup, not contraindicated to children, there are side effects (dizziness, allergy, fatigue). Price: 300 rubles.
- Kodelak.An antitussive agent of plant origin. Produced in various forms: tablets, syrups, elixirs. Has a combined effect, reduces excitability, increases the viscosity of phlegm with a damp cough, does not cause respiratory depression. It is not recommended to use a long term - the drug causes dependence. Children are appointed from 6 years. The price: 140 rubles.
- Herbion with plantain. Syrup has antitussive and antibacterial effect. Increases the amount of sputum, reduces its viscosity. Due to vitamin C increases immunity. The drug forms a protective film on the mucous membrane, reduces irritation, reduces inflammation. Suitable for children from 2 years. Has almost no contraindications. Price: 250 rubles.
- Haliksol.One of the most effective drugs, the effect comes after half an hour after use, dilutes sputum, reduces its viscosity, soothes the mucous membrane. Produced in the form of syrup, has a number of contraindications. It is forbidden in pregnancy and with gastrointestinal diseases. Children are appointed from 5 years. The price of the drug: 100 rubles.
- Lazolvan.It is prescribed for acute pneumonia, chronic sinusitis, acute bronchitis. The effect is observed after half an hour after administration, the effect lasts up to 10 hours. Cough is eased, sputum is diluted, respiratory tract irritation decreases. Produced in the form of tablets, syrup and solution for inhalation. Suitable for children over 6 years. Price: 150 rubles.
- Ambroghexal.The remedy is used for chronic and acute bronchial diseases, asthma, rhinitis, sinusitis, laryngitis. Used in the treatment of complications after surgery, as well as to stimulate the fetus during pregnancy. It has well-pronounced properties, well-established in the market. The price: 70 rubles.
- Omnitus.Produced in the form of tablets and syrup. Reduces the inflammatory process, fights infections, relieves dry cough, positively affects the general condition of the body. Has a number of side effects, including. drowsiness, dizziness, vomiting, stool disruption. Contraindicated in pregnant women and children under 6 years. The price of the drug: 90 rubles.
- Stoptussin.It is a combined remedy, has antitussive and mucolytic effect. It is used in the treatment of dry and unproductive cough, is made in the Czech Republic. Produced in the form of tablets, drops and syrup of vegetable origin. Price: 150 rubles.
- Lorraine.The product is suitable for combating dry cough, it is available in various forms: powder, capsules, tablets, suspension and solution. Eliminates the symptoms of ARI and colds, has antipyretic properties, suitable for children from 6 years. Side effects include increased blood pressure, dizziness, mild irritability. The price: 200 rubles.
What causes can be a night cough in an adult, indicated in the article.
Cough with sputum is called wet or productive. For its treatment, preparations with an expectorant effect are used:
- ATSTS.Liquefies phlegm, promotes the productivity of cough, relief comes in the first days of admission. Has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It does not combine with paracetamol and other cough drugs. Not recommended for pregnant and lactating mothers. Price: 130 rubles.
- Doctor Mom.Means of plant origin fights with diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract, relieves of the common cold, colds and bronchitis. Available in the form of lozenges, lozenges, syrups, tablets, ointments, roller pencils. Suitable for children from 2 years. The cost in pharmacies: 140 rubles.
- Broncholitin.It is very popular as a trustworthy tool. Suppresses the center of a cough, does not depress breathing, treats acute respiratory illnesses, displays phlegm, relieves the mucous membrane from swelling. Effective in childhood. Has only a few side effects: allergies, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate. The price: 55 rubles.
- Bromhexine.The agent is used for acute and chronic bronchial diseases with sputum of increased viscosity. The drug is well tolerated, prescribed from the age of 6, combined with antibiotics, contributing to their penetration into the bronchial secret. When treating, you need to consume more fluid, exclude driving and performing hazardous work. Price: 30 rubles.
- Ambroxol.Bulgarian preparation of expectorant anti-inflammatory effect. It is also used for the prevention of respiratory tract infections, it is available in the form of a syrup with a pleasant smell and raspberry taste. Helps in a short time cure cough, tracheitis, pneumonia, whooping cough and bronchitis. The price: 25 rubles.
- Mukaltin.A natural remedy fights with a wet cough, relieves viscous sputum, which prevents normal breathing. The effect of taking tablets is observed a couple of days after the start of the course. Contraindications: gastrointestinal diseases, allergies, diabetes mellitus. It is not addictive, children can be taken from the age of 12. Cost: 15 rubles.
- Ambrogen.The chemical preparation expectorant and diluting effect, facilitates the outflow of sputum from the bronchi, neutralizes the damaged molecules. The action is seen after only half an hour after taking, lasts about 10 hours. Produced in the form of capsules, syrups, tablets, solutions for inhalation and injection. Children are appointed from 2 years. The packing price: 105 rubles.
- Fluidite.It is used for acute diseases of the lower and upper respiratory tract, accompanied by viscous sputum. Poorly combined with other drugs, weakening their effect. Struggles with infections without clarifying their form and localization. Available for adults and children in the form of syrup, as well as in the form of granules for suspension. Price: 250 rubles.
- Herbion with primrose.The drug is made using plant material. A syrup is prescribed not only with a moist but also senile cough, when the lungs are not adequately supplied with blood. Improves the work of the adrenal glands, is a diaphoretic, expectorant, diuretic, strengthening agent. It facilitates breathing, removes inflammation of the mucous membrane. Children are appointed from 2 years. The price: 200 rubles.
- Gedelix.I have recommended myself as a means to combat productive cough in children. Has spasmolytic properties, removes sputum from the bronchi, relieves inflammation of the respiratory tract. Form release: syrup with mint extract, eucalyptus, menthol. Side effects usually do not appear, does not contain sugars and alcohol. Price: 150 rubles.
- Pertussin.One of the most inexpensive, but very effective tools in the fight against wet cough. Has an expectorant property, dilutes sputum, promotes its excretion. In the preparation of a substance of chemical and vegetable origin, incl. thyme. Children are appointed from the age of 3, during the reception it is necessary to dilute with water. The price: 15 rubles.
How does a cough of an asthmatic nature look like in this article.
What to do when the child's wheezing and coughing is indicated in the article here: http://prolor.ru/g/bolezni-g/kashel/svistyashhij-kashel-u-rebenka.html
Among the most effective drugs for dry and wet cough in the Russian market you can find inexpensive means. Before using it is necessary to consult with specialists, since cough is just a symptom of other diseases, it is necessary to fight first of all with the cause of coughing. Remember that timely diagnosis can save a person's life.
How to choose a cough medicine?
What are the cough tablets?Effective drugs for cough therapy in adults, adolescents and children is an actual topic to date and this is related to common cases of self-medication and a huge choice of drugs in the form of syrups, tablets, potions, drops, suspensions, sprays, inhalers, infusions and tinctures. In this case, patients often consult a pharmacist and pharmacist who can not assess the nature of the cough, determine the diagnosis and severity disease, the possibility of a complicated course of nosological form, which can be determined only by a qualified specialist - therapist, pediatrician or family doctor. If necessary, additional instrumental methods of examination are prescribed.
The correct treatment of a cough is not to suppress the cough reflex, which is a protective reaction of the body to irritation of the respiratory tract due to the development in them inflammatory process and with sputum production (wet cough) or with minimal mucus presence (dry unproductive cough), and also in case of inhalation of any irritant factor:
- small particles of dust;
- foreign objects;
- various infectious agents - pathogenic microorganisms, viruses, fungi;
In some cases, cough, especially in childhood, can occur in diseases that are not associated with pathological processes directly in the respiratory system, but has a central (neurogenic) nature - with neuroses, the syndrome of hyperactivity, psychopathy. Also cough is an additional symptom in diseases of other organs or systems: allergic diseases, heart and vascular diseases, digestive organs.
Therefore, in each specific case, a diagnosis and careful selection of strictly defined and maximized effective cough tablets for complex therapy of the underlying disease with elimination or relief of a specific type of cough.
Pathogenesis of cough
Mucous membranes of the trachea, bronchi and alveoli normally produce mucus.
But with inflammatory processes that occur during seasonal infections, colds, cough is one of the symptoms, acutely occurring pathological processes that accompanied by an increase in temperature, lethargy, weakness, runny nose and general malaise, in connection with the development of the inflammatory process in the epithelial cells of the larynx, trachea, pharynx, bronchi or alveoli. At the same time, hyperemia with persistent edema and production of mucous exudate develops, aimed at evacuating viruses and pathogenic microorganisms from the upper and lower respiratory tract.
Another cause of coughing is bronchospasm.
Inflammation of the alveoli, pleura, or lung tissue with pneumonia and pleurisy is accompanied by frequent dry, and irritating cough, but the diagnosis of these diseases is carried out only in the conditions of a medical institution.
Types of cough and treatment tactics
Cough, depending on the amount of sputum in the respiratory tract is divided into wet and dry.
In this case, treatment of each type of cough has its own characteristics and determines the choice of cough medicine.
Tablets from dry cough, in most cases suppress the cough reflex (blocking the cough center or the receptors of the tracheobronchial tree), so their
It is unacceptable to use for the treatment of a damp cough, as a result of which evacuation of sputum and bronchial clearance are completely blocked by a constantly developing secret.
Also, do not use tablets from wet cough, dilute sputum and promote both its formation, and an easier expectoration in the occurrence of dry cough, which is associated with irritation of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract by a catarrhal inflammatory process or irritation with chemical or physical agents. If they are not effective, they can stimulate the secretion when the cells are not ready for it, so there is aggravation of edema and inflammation of the bronchi and trachea.
It is important to remember that cough is only a symptom of the disease and the main point of therapy is the definition and elimination of the cause of the pathological process.
Causes of cough in children and adults
To date, the main causes of coughing are:
1. Diseases of the respiratory system
- Catarrhal and infectious diseases of the bronchopulmonary system of viral and bacterial etiology (considered the largest and most important group of pathologies that are accompanied by a cough):
- diseases of the upper respiratory tract (nasopharyngitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, laryngotracheitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis);
- pathological processes in the lower respiratory tract (tracheitis, tracheobronchitis, bronchiolitis, bronchitis, bronchopneumonia and pneumonia, pleurisy, alveolitis, lung abscess);
- Specific infectious and inflammatory processes (tuberculosis and mycosis of the lungs, chlamydial pneumonia), 3) Diseases of infectious-allergic and allergic genesis (bronchial asthma, angioedema larynx);
- Congenital pathology of bronchi and lungs (bronchial hypoplasia, congenital bronchiectasis);
- Children's infectious diseases (whooping cough, measles, scarlet fever);
- Benign and malignant neoplasms of the respiratory tract (lung sarcoma, bronchogenic carcinoma, pleural tumors);
- Irritation of mucous respiratory tract by aggressive chemical substances (poisoning with petrol vapors, acetone, carbon monoxide);
- Foreign bodies in the respiratory tract;
- Interstitial lung diseases.
2. Diseases of the heart and blood vessels
- heart defects (congenital and acquired);
- angina pectoris;
- heart failure;
- inflammatory diseases of the heart (myocarditis, pericarditis).
3. Diseases of the digestive tract
- gastroesophageal reflux;
4. Diseases of the nervous system
- neurogenic dysfunction of the pharynx musculature;
- Parkinson's disease;
- organic pathology of the brain (post-stroke complications, brain tumors).
5. Other reasons
- a smoker's cough;
- cough, as a side effect when taking certain medicines (inhibitors of renin-angiotensin).
Effective elimination of the cause of the occurrence of cough, is the basis for the therapy of cough, directed at the etiologic factor.
Classification of drugs that eliminate and relieve coughThe modern classification of medical devices that affect cough is extensive, but to date the drugs are positively affecting the occurrence of cough reflex, its productivity and intensity in pharmacology and medicine are divided into three main groups:
- drugs that directly exert a retarding effect on the cough center of the central nervous system (in the brain) and on the nerve endings of cough receptors with complete or partial suppression of cough;
- drugs affecting smooth muscle and bronchial mucosa;
- drugs affecting the state of bronchial secretions.
Dry cough pills
Dry cough occurs as a complex reflex protective reaction of the body, which occurs with constant irritation of the respiratory tract by any infectious or other foreign agents with simultaneous presence of catarrhal inflammation and edema of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract with minimal production of sputum, mainly in the development of viral or bacterial infections.
Dry cough is irritating and unproductive, and most often occurs with catarrhal inflammation of the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract - larynx, nasopharynx and / or the initial part of the trachea, as well as their combined lesions - laryngopharyngitis, laryngotracheitis and pharyngotracheitis. Also, a frequent dry and irritating cough can occur in children with infectious diseases - measles, paracut, parotitis, whooping cough and scarlet fever.
Dry cough can be a symptom of pleurisy, bronchoadenitis, the presence of a foreign body of bronchial tubes, as well as a symptom of diseases of other systems: psychogenic cough with neuroses or irritating cough with endocrinopathies and diseases of the digestive system (gastroesophageal reflux).
In this type of cough, in a number of cases, antitussive drugs that depress the cough reflex are prescribed. It is important to remember that this type of medication is used only for the purpose of the doctor at any age, but in young children (up to a year), premature and weakened babies, in the presence of perinatal pathology of the central nervous system, these drugs can oppress not only the cough reflex, but also respiratory center. Therefore, in pediatric practice, these drugs are prescribed only under the constant supervision of a specialist in the case of severe dry cough, significantly disturbing the well-being and sleep of the child, causing regurgitation and vomiting - in whooping cough, parakoklishe and in the complex therapy of obstructive bronchitis and bronchopneumonia.
These drugs are divided:
- preparations of central action;
- peripheral action;
- combined medicines.
Counter-cough medicines of central action
A group of drugs affecting the center-center cough center is used to eliminate coughing and is used to treat diseases with no sputum. It includes mainly medicines for the treatment of dry cough:
1. With narcotic effect (Morphine chloride, Codeine, Demorphan, Hydrocodone, Codipron, and Ethylmorphine hydrochloride).
2. Without a narcotic effect (Tusuprex, Glavent, Sedotussin, Sinekod, Pakseladin, Butamirat).
Narcotic antitussive medicines
These drugs are released in the pharmacy network only when presenting a prescription.
With caution the drugs of this group are prescribed for acute pain in the abdomen of an unknown genesis, convulsions (in the anamnesis), arrhythmia, alcoholism, bouts of asthma, suicidal tendencies, neuroses and emotional lability. And also with intracranial hypertension and brain injuries of prostatic hyperplasia, renal and / or hepatic insufficiency, hypothyroidism, severe inflammatory bowel disease, and with urethral strictures channel. Very rarely drugs of this group are assigned to weakened patients, in any period of pregnancy and during lactation, and also elderly patients and children due to a large number of adverse reactions, the possibility of overdose and poisoning.
It should be noted that the use of other antitussive and expectorants simultaneously with narcotic antitussives is prohibited.
The most common drugs in this group are Codeine and codeine-containing drugs and Ethylmorphine.
CodeineCodeine is an alkaloid of opium and is formed synthetically by methylation of morphine. Its therapeutic effect is based on suppressing the redistribution of the cough center of the brain.
Codeine is part of the combination of medications that are used as symptomatic agents for the treatment of an obsessive, painful and debilitating cough:
1) in combination with expectorant drugs and terpinhydrate
2) with sodium hydrocarbonate, a herb of thermopsis and a root of licorice
3) in combination with anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, naproxen, metamizole, paracetamol and analgin, and) with the inclusion of some preparations of phenobarbital with its soothing action
- Nurofen Plus.
EthylmorphineEthylmorphine is a central antitussive drug that promotes stimulation of opioid receptors neurons of the brain and a decrease in the excitability of the cough center and providing analgesic and soothing act. It is available in the form of tablets.
Indication for use Ethylmorphine is an unproductive, painful cough that is accompanied by a pain syndrome with pulmonary tuberculosis, pleurisy, neoplasms of the bronchopulmonary system.
Contraindication to the use of this drug is respiratory depression against the background of various infectious and inflammatory processes of the lungs (bronchopneumonia, bronchiectasis, pulmonary emphysema and other COPD), especially in the elderly, as well as increased sensitivity to drug. The most frequent adverse reactions are persistent headaches, insomnia, permanent constipation (especially in the elderly and senile age, in weakened patients) and the development of drug dependencies.
Non-narcotic antitussive medications
To date, the pharmacy network has a very large selection of non-narcotic antitussive drugs, which can be considered true cough tablets. Typical representatives of this group are Libexin, Paxeladin, Glaucin, Sedotussin, Tusuprex, Sinekod and other preparations.
The mechanism of action of these drugs:
- oppressive effect on the nerve endings of cough receptors with complete or partial suppression of cough and mediated inhibition of the cough center;
- interruption or weakening of signals going to the brain (medulla oblongata) from the affected mucosa of the trachea and bronchi.
Some of these substances are part of a combination of drugs, mainly Glaucin, which is an antitussive component many medicines containing also other soothing, expectorant or anti-inflammatory components (Stoptussin, Broncholitin).
Medicinal preparations of non-narcotic effect for today by patients and in some cases also by doctors are widely used, but, to Unfortunately, it is often unreasonable and wrong, because the indication for their purpose is the need to suppress frequent, irritating cough. In pediatrics, such cases are rare - mainly with whooping cough or in cases of intense productive cough with intense production sputum with the formation of abundant and liquid bronchial secretion (bronchorrhea), when there is a real threat of aspiration of bronchial contents.
In patients in the older age group (children over 12 years, adolescents, adults), these drugs are prescribed in cases of cough, combined with moderate bronchospasm. At the same time they are used both independently and as an addition to bronchodilator drugs, suppressing catarrhal or allergic inflammation.
The most commonly prescribed drugs in this group are Butamyrate, Libexin, Bithiodine, Paxeladine.
ButamateThis antitussive drug effectively inhibits the excitability of the cough center, while providing moderate anti-inflammatory, expectorant action and a weak bronchodilator effect, reducing irritation of the trachea and bronchi and potentiating antitussive action without depressing influence on the respiratory center.
Butamirate tablets are used for symptomatic treatment of inflammatory diseases of the bronchopulmonary system in adults and children and over 12 years of age who are accompanied by a frequent unproductive and severe irritating cough that has an obsessive character. Butamirate is the main component of medicines Sinekod, Kodelak-Neo, Omnitus.
Antitussive drug, the therapeutic effect of which is due to active influence on the receptors of the mucous membrane of the bronchopulmonary system and to a lesser extent on the cough center of the central nervous system. Its active ingredient is Tipedidine, which is close to codeine by force of action, but does not cause drug dependence even with prolonged use.
PaxeladinThis drug refers to antitussive drugs that do not have a chemical affinity for either opioids or their derivatives, or antihistamines. Its active ingredient is oxeladine citrate, which acts selectively at the level of the cough nerve centers. Pakseladin is released in prolonged-action capsules and in syrup. Like all non-narcotic antitussives, it is prescribed for the symptomatic treatment of frequent dry cough in most cases spastic or reflex. It is not used to treat productive cough - it is difficult to get rid of phlegm and aggravation of inflammatory processes, conditions are created for the development of complications (bronchopneumonia, pleurisy). Also, do not apply Paxeladin simultaneously with expectorant and mucolytic drugs - in this case, activates viscous products sputum, which provokes the development of bronchospasm, peristalsis of small and medium bronchi and obliteration of the lumen of the bronchi, which aggravates cough.
It is not recommended to use capsules before the age of 15 years.
Indications and features of non-narcotic antitussive drugs
A group of non-narcotic antitussive medicines of central action is shown mainly with a cough that is associated with marked irritation of mucous epiglotti (upper) respiratory tracts arising from infectious and / or catarrhal inflammation. In this case, the positive result is usually enhanced when they are used together with preparations of peripheral antitussive action with enveloping effect. An example of such a combined action is Broncholitin. But the effectiveness of its use is justified only in the absence of pronounced inflammatory changes in the mucosa in the lower parts of the bronchopulmonary system, in connection with the fact that the ephedrine entering into it "dries" the bronchial mucosa, increasing the viscosity of the bronchial secretion, increasing the inefficiency of coughing in bronchitis and pneumonia. Ephedrine also has an exciting effect on the central nervous system, so the use of this drug in children unjustified and dangerous - it can disrupt the child's sleep, contributing to increased dyspnoea and unproductive cough.
It is important to remember that the use of this group of drugs as self-medication can do more harm than good, cause complications in the form of bronchial obstruction, increasing the viscosity of bronchial secretions and promote the progression of inflammatory processes, edema and lowering of the pathological process in lower departments.
Group of peripheral drugs
The peripheral group includes pharmacological preparations from dry cough acting on nerve receptors and endings that are located in the tracheobronchial tree - Libexin, Levopront and Helicidin.
Libexin is considered an effective antitussive drug, which additionally has a local anesthetic, bronchodilator and spasmolytic effects and has a moderate expectorant and anti-inflammatory effect with minimal decrease in respiratory activity center. The basic form of Libexin is round flat tablets of almost white color with a dividing stripe into four equal parts on one side and engraving "LIBEXIN" on the other, containing 100 mg of active ingredient - prenoxdiazin hydrochloride.
This drug is currently considered a drug of choice in the treatment of laryngitis, tracheitis, pharyngitis and less frequent bronchitis, which are accompanied by a dry, unproductive cough. Also as one of the components in the complex therapy of pleurisy and pneumonia, which are accompanied by pain and obstructive syndromes, and with congenital diseases of bronchopulmonary system, cystic fibrosis and other chronic lung diseases: tuberculosis, pneumoconiosis, emphysema in children and adults as a symptomatic remedy with compulsive irritating coughing.
With caution this drug is prescribed for ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as in the presence of a history of gastric bleeding, liver or kidney failure, glomerulonephritis, cystitis, allergic form of bronchial asthma with a tendency to stand bronchial obstruction.
Libexin is contraindicated for individual intolerance, pregnancy (especially in the first trimester), lactation and in early childhood.
This drug is prescribed for frequent dry cough to children and adults. It is released as a syrup and drops for oral administration.
Absolute contraindications to its reception are:
- pregnancy in any period;
- lactation period;
- liver failure;
- decreased mucociliary function of the bronchi;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug.
Levoproton can cause side effects in the form of increased fatigue, diarrhea, drowsiness, dizziness, tachycardia, heartburn, nausea, vomiting and allergic reactions. With long-term use of this drug, mental disorders, the development of sopor and coma, possible, especially with overdoses in childhood and the elderly.
Group of antitussive drugs combined action
These drugs have simultaneously reducing the cough reflex effect and expectorant, moderate anti-inflammatory and mild bronchodilator actions in connection with their constituent several components - Stopptussin, Butamirate, Libexin-Muko, Tussin plus, Bronholitin, Protiazin, Hexapneumine.
All drugs of this group are widely used for the treatment of dry and unproductive cough, but it is important to remember that
They are contraindicated in the presence of productive wet cough or other conditions that are accompanied by abundant sputum discharge, as well as with the likelihood of developing pulmonary hemorrhages.
Therefore, the choice of an antitussive drug should be performed by a physician on the basis of an anamnesis, clinical examination of the patient and, if necessary, additional methods (laboratory or instrumental).
Indications and features of antitussive drugs
A group of "true" antitussive drugs of central and peripheral action is shown mainly with a cough that is associated with marked irritation of mucous epiglotti (upper) respiratory tracts arising from infectious and / or catarrhal inflammation. In this case, a positive result is usually enhanced when they are used together with drugs that have anti-inflammatory and enveloping effects in addition. An example of such a combined action is Broncholitin. But the effectiveness of its use is justified only in the absence of pronounced inflammatory changes in the mucosa in the lower parts of the bronchopulmonary system, in connection with the fact that the ephedrine entering into it "dries" the bronchial mucosa, increasing the viscosity of the bronchial secretion, increasing the inefficiency of coughing in bronchitis and pneumonia. Ephedrine also has an exciting effect on the central nervous system, so the use of this drug in children unjustified and dangerous - it can disrupt the child's sleep, contributing to increased dyspnoea and unproductive cough.
It is important to remember that the use of this group of drugs as self-medication can do more harm than good, cause complications in the form of bronchial obstruction, increase the viscosity of the bronchial secretion and promote the progression of inflammatory processes, edema and lowering of the pathological process in the lower parts of the bronchopulmonary system.
Cough preparations of local action
This group of antitussive drugs includes drugs that depress the cough reflex as a result of anesthesia of the mucous membranes respiratory tract, in connection with which the irritating effect of various agents, both infectious and non-infectious (chemical and physical factors). These drugs also reduce the viscosity of phlegm and relax the bronchi.
To local anesthetics include tablets Libexin, Tusuprex and resorption tablets Falimint.
Tablets Tusuprex is often used for symptomatic cough therapy in children from the year, adolescents and adults patients, but in pediatric practice they are used only according to the doctor's prescription (due to the complexity of dosing in young children age). Also, this drug should not be used against the background of the development of bronchospasm (with obstructive bronchitis and bronchial asthma), in the presence of confirmed bronchiectasis and for any disease that is accompanied by a difficult separation phlegm.
FalimintTablets for resorption of the Falimint are indicated in the presence of an unproductive irritant cough that is caused by pronounced catarrh of the upper respiratory tract (pharynx, larynx and upper parts trachea). This drug has in its composition a local anesthetic component and therefore reduces the intensity of dry cough.
Falimint does not apply:
- in children under 4 years;
- during pregnancy and lactation;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- with intolerance to fructose.
Drugs affecting the state of bronchial secretions
Separately, a group of drugs with mucolytic and / or expectorant action is distinguished. These tablets and syrups, which are used in wet productive cough and are divided into the following subspecies of drugs:
a) having predominantly reflex action:
- Terpinhydrate, Thermopsis, Sodium benzoate, Lycorin;
- the roots of Licorice, Devyasil, Istad and Althea;
- essential oils.
b) stimulating gastropulmonary and / or vomiting reflex:
- Gwaiphenazine, Ipecacuan, Sodium Citrate, Ammonium Chloride.
c) resorptive action with increased bronchial secretion:
- Sodium iodide, Sodium bicarbonate, Ammonium chloride, Potassium iodide.
2. Mucolytic agents:
a) direct action, which quickly destroy the polymer bonds of bronchial mucus:
- The mukonist;
- Acetylcysteine, Fluimutsil, Carbocysteine group (Mukopron, Bronkatar, Mukodin, Fluvik, Mistabron, Mucosol;
- preparations with infusions of leaves of plantain, mother-and-stepmother, licorice;
- enzymatic preparations that reduce the viscosity of sputum - Chymotrypsin, DNAase, Trypsin, Ribonuclease, Streptokinase, DNAase, Pulmozyme;
b) Indirect action (mucoregulators):
- Ambroxol (Ambrobene, Ambrosan, Ambroghexal, Khalixol, Medovent, Lazolvan, Ambrollanazolvan);
- Bromhexine (Fulpen, Flegamine, Broxin, Bisolvon);
- Carboxymethylcysteine, Sobregorod, Sodium Ethanesulfate, Letostein, Sodium bicarbonate;
- changing the productivity of bronchial glands - anticholinergic and antihistamines.
3. Anti-inflammatory drugs with bronchodilator and / or expectorant effect:
- Suprima-bronho, Sinupret, Pulmotin, Glytsiram, Ascoril, Gelomirtol, Gedelix, Evkabal and Prospan.
Features of the use of expectorant drugs
At the basis of the mechanism of action of expectorants are - increased secretion of sputum by bronchial glands, dilution of secretion by reflex by way of and as a result of this easier departure of mucous or mucopurulent sputum from the lower parts of the bronchopulmonary system to its higher departments. These drugs actively irritate the receptors of the mucous membranes of the stomach and, inducing vomiting center, which is localized in the medulla oblongata and, in connection with this, significantly increase sputum excretion bronchi.
Expectorants are prescribed for diseases that are accompanied by a decrease in sputum production or vice versa, an abundance of thick, viscous, difficult-to-separate mucus that accumulates in the bronchi (with bronchitis and bronchial asthma), larynx (with laryngitis), in the trachea (with tracheitis), in the alveoli and small bronchioles (with bronchopneumonia and cystic fibrosis).
The use of expectorants for the treatment of respiratory diseases can not be combined with antitussive drugs of central and peripheral action that oppress the cough center or inhibit cough reflex. In this case, a large number of sputum accumulates in the lower respiratory tract, which often leads to their obliteration and development of severe infectious and inflammatory diseases (obstructive bronchitis, bronchopneumonia, pleurisy).
There are two groups of expectorant drugs that differ in the mechanism of their therapeutic action:
- means of reflex action;
- medicines with direct effect.
- preparations of vegetable origin;
- synthetic drugs.
Popular expectorants of plant originBasically, almost all expectorants with a reflex action mechanism are represented medicinal plants and their extracts, which intensify and accelerate the excretion of sputum from the organs bronchopulmonary system. This group of medicines is extensive and in most cases they are represented by herbal medicines.
Expectorants have medicinal plants:
- mother and stepmother;
- pine buds, etc.
Herbal extracts of these herbs are included in various breast pills, tablets, powders and syrups for the treatment of moist productive cough in children and adults.
Pills for cough with thermopsis
In most cases (and this is actually so), this drug is considered to be the best drug for treating wet cough.
Tablets from cough with thermopsis and sodium bicarbonate are very popular earlier and effective at the present time. Their balanced composition is a herb of thermopsis, which enhances sputum secretion while simultaneously reducing its viscosity and sodium bicarbonate, an emollient and gently tearing bonds in sputum molecules - effectively dilute sputum, promoting its rapid evacuation from the upper and lower divisions of the respiratory tract.
In these tablets there are no artificial additives, synthetic components, and in comparison with expensive medicinal preparations in efficiency they do not concede.
But for the purpose of this drug there are absolute contraindications:
- individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- erosive and ulcerative pathological processes of the stomach and other parts of the digestive system;
Thermopsis is today considered to be an excellent remedy for treating wet cough in children. But it is important to remember that it is not used for infants for the therapy of bronchitis or bronchopneumonia with a large amount of sputum, while the child can not effectively cough, and thermopsis additionally activates the increase in mucus secretion by bronchial glands, which quickly leads to the development of respiratory insufficiency. Also, the herb of thermopsis has an emetic effect and the babies show frequent regurgitation and vomiting, which leads to dysfunctions of the digestive system, the development of lethargy, reduced weight gain and overall weakening of the body the kid.
Also, if the dose of Thermopsis is exceeded, its emetic effect is manifested, which can cause nausea at the beginning of treatment at any age (especially in children).
Another effective herbal preparation for the treatment of wet cough is Muciltin tablets from cough, which are created on the basis of the extract of the drug althea. It has a pronounced anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect, which is due to reflex stimulation ciliary epithelium of the respiratory tract and an increase in peristalsis of the bronchi and bronchioles with activation of secretion bronchial glands.
Muciltine tablets also contain sodium bicarbonate.
Currently, this drug is recognized as one of the most effective expectorant drugs that are used to treat productive wet cough in children and adults.
Dr. Mom is a complex herbal preparation that is used in the treatment of diseases accompanied by a damp productive or cough with viscous sputum. It consists of active plant substances that have expectorant, softening, secretory, anti-inflammatory, moderate bronchodilator and mucolytic effects.
At the heart of pastilles and syrup are dry extracts from leaves, roots, seeds, bark, flowers of medicinal plants: aloe, elecampane, basil, ginger, licorice, turmeric, pepper cubebe, terminalee beleriki and nightshade Indian.
Additional positive characteristics of this drug is its good tolerability, even with prolonged use.
With caution, this medicine should be taken by pregnant women and with lactation and only with the appointment of a doctor and with constant monitoring.
Also, Dr. Mom is not assigned simultaneously with medications that suppress the cough reflex. A good effect is the use of this plant expectorant in combination with mucolytic drugs (Ambroxol, Lazolvan and Bromhexin).
At the beginning of treatment or with prolonged or uncontrolled use of the drug, nausea may occur before vomiting or frequent regurgitation in young children, which is due to the presence in the formulation of an extract of licorice, which has a weak emetic effect.
Expectorants of artificial origin
At the basis of the mechanism of action of expectorant antitussive drugs of direct action is the enhancement elimination of bronchial secretion as a result of exposure to sputum and stimulation of bronchial peristalsis. This group of medicines is represented by artificial medicinal preparations - iodized salts of potassium and sodium, Benzoate sodium, sodium hydrochloride, terpinhydrate, ammonium chloride, potassium bromide and essential oils - eucalyptus fir, aniseed. They are quite effective and are mainly used for inhalations.
In the pharmacy network, you can buy a combination of drugs for the treatment of wet cough, which have in their composition as plant substances, and artificial components - Moist-anise drops and Pertussin, which contains the extract of thyme and bromide potassium.
The action of mucolytic drugs is aimed at diluting the thick and viscous secretion bronchial glands without increasing sputum secretion to facilitate their evacuation from the lower and upper respiratory tract.
Mucolytic tablets today are considered one of the main components in the therapy of wet cough. They also restore the mucous membranes of the bronchi and the elasticity of the lungs.
To this group of drugs are - Ambroxol, ATSTS, Bromheksin, Carboccithin. When combined with various plant expectorants with mucolytics, the effectiveness of both increases sharply. Also mucolytics potentiate the action of antibacterial drugs, increasing their effectiveness, Therefore, they are widely used in complex therapy of pneumonia, bronchiolitis, obstructive bronchitis and pleurisy.
Ambroxol and Bromhexin activate the formation of pulmonary surfactant, which ensures the normal functioning of the alveoli of the lungs, preventing their collapse and adhesion, therefore they are widely used in pediatric practice for the treatment of bronchopulmonary pathology in young children, premature babies and toddlers with intrauterine hypotrophy.
Their negative side is the ability to cause bronchospasm, which is considered a contraindication to the use of these drugs during periods of exacerbation of bronchial asthma.
The main groups of mucolytic drugs
In medicine and pharmacology mucolytics are divided into several groups:
1) drugs that are developed based on proteolytic enzymes - chymotrypsin, trypsin and mesna. But this group of medicines is used only in extreme cases, always in a hospital and under the supervision of the attending physician;
2) drugs based on acetylcysteine - ATSTS, Mukobene, Fluimutsil, Exemuk, Mukomist and others.
The mechanism of action of these drugs is based on dilution of thick and viscous sputum as a result of rupture of large molecules of mucus to small in connection with this facilitates the process of coughing and evacuation of sputum from the respiratory tract. Also, acetylcysteine drugs have a protective effect on the inflamed cells of the bronchopulmonary system.
Preparations of this group can not be taken simultaneously with antitussive drugs, which leads to stagnation of sputum in the bronchi and alveoli, oppression of the cough and the development of complications (bronchopneumonia, respiratory failure, and with the layering of aggressive microflora - abscesses of the lungs and purulent pleurisy).
3) drugs based on carbocisteine (mucoregulators) - Bronkatar, Carbocysteine, Drill, Mukodin, Fluvik, Mukoprint.
They normalize not only the qualitative composition of the sputum (liquefying it and easing the cough), but also increase the activity of cells that produce bronchial secretion and the work of cilia of bronchial epithelium and bronchioles. And also have an anti-inflammatory effect and stimulate local immunity in connection with the increase in the production of protective immune complexes (group A immunoglobulins).
The most modern preparations of this group are Fluviert, its distinctive feature is a longer lasting effect.
4) mucolytics with expectorant effect - derivatives of Ambroxol and Bromhexine
The mechanism of action of these drugs is based on stimulation of secretion by alveoli of liquid sputum and liquefaction and already accumulated mucus, stimulate the formation of immunoglobulin and lysozyme in a bronchial secretion and have an expectorant effect.
But the pronounced effect of these drugs does not come immediately, but only on the fourth - the sixth day from the beginning of treatment.
Bromhexine preparations include - Flexin, Bronchosan, Flegamin, Bromoxin, Fulpen, Solvin.
Drugs of this group also can not be used simultaneously with antitussive drugs in connection with possible accumulation of excess sputum as a result of cough suppression and the absence of evacuation of the accumulated secretion from the bronchi and alveoli. In addition, when this group of drugs is prescribed, the use of a vibratory (drainage) massage and postural drainage (the patient's acceptance of certain body positions that improve the outflow phlegm).
Ambroxol preparations are active metabolites of Bromhexine with an improved chemical structure, so these medicinal means have a complex effect on the respiratory tract - mucolytic, anti-inflammatory and expectorant. Since 2012 Ambroxol is on the list of the most important and vital medicines. But Ambroxol preparations also can not be taken simultaneously with antitussive drugs.
The main drugs are Ambrobene, Lazolvan, Ambrohexal, Khaliksol, Bronhoverne, Dephlegmine, Ambrolan.
Good tablets against coughing
Definitions of "good pills for cough" from both medical and pharmaceutical point of view does not exist. Cough is only a symptom, the complete elimination of which or even its reduction can do more harm than good. With the development of bronchopulmonary pathology in both children and adults, treatment is aimed at eliminating the cause of the pathological process - cupping bronchospasm, the elimination of inflammation, the removal of a foreign body from the trachea and bronchi or the treatment of other systems and organs - neuroses, psychopathies (with neurotic character of coughing).
Therefore, the choice of the drug for cough treatment is individual and is made after a patient's examination, careful collection of anamnesis and diagnosis.
Tablets for children cough
The right choice of medicines for cough therapy in children is determined by the main factors - the cause of cough, the mechanism of action of antitussive drugs, features of a cough reflex in a child, and the full spectrum of all these factors can be assessed only by a specialist who will assign the baby the correct one in each case treatment.
Inhibition of cough reflex in a child, the use of several antitussive drugs from different groups simultaneously, increasing dosages, multiplicities and the duration of taking the drug can lead to many negative consequences, the development and progression of hazardous to health and even life complications.
Tablets for coughing during pregnancy
Pregnancy in most cases is an absolute contraindication to taking many antitussive medicines, especially narcotic antitussives, many complex medicines, in connection with their pronounced negative impact on the embryo, followed by the development of fetopathies and other violations of the correct laying of organs and systems of the future child.
Relatively contraindicated medicinal products for treating cough are:
- insufficiently studied drugs, in which application the risk of a dangerous effect on the baby's body is possible;
- medicines, with the possible risk of development in the future mother of side effects.
Also on any period of pregnancy, some medicinal plants and medicinal funds that have them in its composition - juniper, nettle, oregano, mother-and-stepmother, St. John's Wort and others. The negative effect of medicinal herbs on the fetus is sometimes many times more active than synthetic drugs - they have a fetopathological and teratogenic effect on the fetus, change the hormonal background of the pregnant, can stimulate the contraction of the myometrium and cause miscarriages, especially in the early terms.
Therefore, even at the planning stage, and even more so in the early stages of pregnancy, it is necessary to take with caution any medicinal and / or homeopathic medicines and herbs.
Cough for adultsWhen choosing a cough medicine, one should not only know all the pros and cons of a particular drug, but also understand for which age category it is more preferable. This article is devoted to cough medicines for adults.
Drug for dry coughing for adults
With a dry cough in his life dealt with almost every person. For today in drugstores it is possible to find the big choice of the preparations effective enough at treatment of a dry cough, both at children, and at adults.
The main cure for dry cough for adults is the translation of the so-called unproductive cough into a productive cough, in other words from dry to wet. The process of sputum removal from the lungs means the beginning of recovery, as this means the beginning of the withdrawal of the infection. For this reason, often the patient is prescribed drugs that cause expectoration - thus, artificial expansion of the bronchi occurs.
Also, when dry cough helps mineral water, for example, "Borjomi". It contains in its composition substances that promote the withdrawal of sputum from the lungs. It is important that the mineral water is really good, preferably from pharmacies.
Drug for wet coughing for adults
The means for treating wet cough substantially differ from the means for treating a dry cough, and the treatment means used differ depending on whether they are shown to adults or to children. Any means passes its coordination with the doctor, due to the presence of individual specificity: whether synthetic components, plant or essential oils predominate. In addition, one should not take the same medicine for a long time due to the addiction of the organism to it, since then there is no reaction to the medicine.
The medicine for wet coughing adults is shown by both folk and generally accepted medications. Means of traditional medicine are directed, as a rule, to dilution of sputum. For these purposes, hot tea is suitable, combined with lemon and raspberries, cowberry syrup, honey and warmed milk. It is required to maintain the humidity of the air in the room at the proper level, to use household humidifiers if necessary. When an acute need is allowed to hang in the room wet sheets or spray indoor air with a special tool. The remedies shown with a damp cough have a tendency to intensify the expectoration, in addition they contribute to the liquefaction of sputum. According to the principle of action, they are divided into two main groups. Resorptive preparations are made using a base in the form of iodides and sodium, reflexes are produced from substances of plant origin, they act for 3-4 hours. When using the above drugs, stimulation of the gastric receptors involved in coughing occurs, so dosage should be done carefully, in order to avoid emetic pushes.
Good (effective) cough for adults
Cough itself does not represent any significant threat to health, but its presence indicates that the body has undergone a certain external pathogenic effect. By exhaling air, repeated with a certain periodicity, self-regulation of the organism is carried out by removing microorganisms, mucus and sputum accumulated in the lungs. Cough by its appearance may contribute to a certain irritation or swelling of the mucous membrane of the throat, adversely affect the area of the trachea and bronchi. You may need additional cough medicine, in the case when the painful condition leads to a deterioration in the overall picture.
A good cough for an adult can be very different. When it comes to a group of medications for cough, it is usually sprays, pills, drops, inhalers, syrups. The unit for tablets is of various types: some help to suppress cough, others allow expectoration of sputum.
Drugs that contribute to suppression, differ in the central and peripheral action. The use of them is allowed only after reaching the age of 14, and it is necessary to strictly maintain the dosage calculated for one day. Preparations of peripheral action inhibit cough, facilitate breathing and favor the work of the brain. Drugs that act centrally do not have an effect on the respiratory system, they contribute to the dilution of sputum and their subsequent withdrawal.
Best Cough Tablets for Adults
The best medicines have always been those that, at first, help normalize the pressure, and then provide suppression of the cough reflex.
- if the cough is not very strong, medicinal candies containing peppermint, eucalyptus, sage are not bad enough.
- very reliable and verified Bronholitin, Libexin.
- when cough accompanied by abundant phlegm, subsequently poorly separable, adequate drugs can become Lazolvan, Bromhexin, ACTS, Acetylcysteine. They not only provide protection against inflammation, but also contribute to the narrowing of the bronchi.
- Among the drugs that suppress and reduce the cough center are Stoptusin, Sinekod, Tusuprex.
Home remedies for coughing adults
A very effective remedy for coughing at home is a cocktail of milk with soda and honey. Milk needs to be warmed up, slightly not bringing it to a boil, and stir in it half a teaspoon of soda with a couple of teaspoons of honey. The resulting broth should be drunk instantly.
A good medicine for coughing has shown itself a composition that includes milk with honey and fat, as well as a decoction of mint, dog rose, and chamomile.
In the absence of temperature and a cough that lasted for a long enough period, together with medicamentous means and heated broths it is necessary to steam out the legs, rub the body with goose fat or balsam Star.
It is useful to carry out inhalations for a couple, which in a short time can even a very cold man with a strong cough lead into working condition.
Honey cake for cough
It is executed in several variants:
- Mix honey with flour to form a test of the required viscosity. Used two teaspoons of honey.
- All the same, but instead of flour used powder from mustard. In order to obtain the necessary viscosity, a little vodka or oil is added.
- 2-3 small boiled potatoes must be cleaned and chopped, so as to gradually mix them in honey.
- The salt is mixed with honey, a bit of sunflower oil is added.
- Regardless of the version used, the resultant mass is laid on gauze or bandage, folded several times. Honey cake is applied to the center of the chest.
The best cough medicineThe best cough medicine for everyone is its own, after all, not fully understood the human body sometimes responds to the reception of various means in different ways. That is why many people have their own good and effective remedy to help cope with this symptom. The list of the best cough remedies listed below is based on feedback from people who recommend them to use. Please note that before using them, you should consult your doctor to make an accurate diagnosis.
Effective cough medicine "Doctor Mom"This good cough medicine for an adult will help if the symptom is productive. The composition of the best means "Doctor MOM" includes ginger, elecampane, licorice root, plantain extract and basil and other plant substances that have a beneficial effect on the respiratory tract. For sale this is the best and most effective cough remedy available in the form of syrup and lozenges. Both these species are equally useful and effective. However, unlike syrup, lozenges also help to soften severe attacks, and they are also convenient to carry with them.
The best cough medicines for sprays and lozenges "Tantum Verde"The best tested Tantoum Verde product is benzidamine hydrochloride and excipients. A pleasant mint flavor gently affects the mucous membranes and facilitates the condition with a dry, unproductive symptom. It can be used even for the treatment of small children, sprinkling a small amount on a pacifier. On sale you can find "Tantum Verde" in pastilles and in the form of a spray with a convenient dispenser.
The most effective cough medicine "ACTS"This drug has a chemical composition, as well as the previous one. It is believed that the "ACTS" is the best cure for a damp cough. Its effect becomes noticeable on the first day of admission. The best means to excrete phlegm dilutes it, making the painful and debilitating symptom more productive. For sale this drug is supplied in effervescent tablets and small sachets with powder.
The best cure for dry cough "Sinekod"With tracheitis, pharyngitis and tonsillitis, the symptom is dry, since mucus is practically not produced and does not stagnate in the bronchi and lungs. The drug "Sinekod" is considered to be the best among other means aimed at combating such ailments. It has an antitussive effect, which greatly facilitates breathing and reduces seizures.
The best cure for wet cough is AmbroxolOne of the best and most effective drugs aimed at diluting sputum and removing it from the lungs and bronchi is Ambroxol. The substances in its composition softly affect the peristalsis of the bronchi and cough receptors. On sale this best product comes in the form of a syrup. Ambroxol is the cheapest syrup. On its basis, Ambrobene and Lazolvan are also produced. They also include auxiliary substances and flavors, but cost an order of magnitude more.
The most effective cough medicine for dry "Libexin""Libexin" along with "Sinekodom" is considered the most effective cough medicine. The substances that enter into it also suppress the cough reflex, but do not have a depressing effect on the general respiratory center. For sale it is supplied in tablets, which begin to function effectively after half an hour after the first application.
He remembers that this symptom is not always associated with inflammatory processes occurring in the upper or lower respiratory tract. Often it develops completely for other reasons. In this case even the best medicines can be powerless.
Which medications are suitable for nebulizer inhalers from cough?
Nebulizer is a modern inhaler for the treatment of respiratory diseases. If you choose the right medicine for this device, you can get rid of cough and cold in a few days without using strong medications.
Cough medicine for the nebulizer
For the treatment of cough with a nebulizer use a variety of solutions that are best and easiest to buy at the pharmacy. They often include several components that cope with the problem in a comprehensive manner. You can prepare yourself a medicine for inhalation yourself. This requires a physiological solution and a medicinal preparation heated to 20 ° C.
The most harmless cough remedy for use in a nebulizer is the mineral water "Borjomi" or "Narzan". Alkaline environment promotes liquefaction and excretion of purulent secretions. This is perhaps the only solution that can be treated independently. The use of medicines should be agreed with the doctor, tk. self-medication can have unpleasant consequences. The right concentration of the solution and the appropriateness of using a particular medicine should be determined by the doctor.
If the cough is dry, the doctor can prescribe inhalation with bronchodilator drugs, such as Berodual, Pulmicort, Atrovent. With a damp cough, solutions from Lazolvan, ACTS, Fluimucil, Acetylcysteine, Pulmozim, which have mucolytic activity, are of great help. With a very strong cough, Lidocaine will help. For the removal of inflammation, as a rule, simultaneously with bronchodilators and mucolytics appoint "Gentomycin "Dioxydin "Tevomycin" or other antibiotics.
Sometimes, to combat coughing, the doctor prescribes drugs of combined action, for example, "Fenoterol or prescribes inhalations based on drugs of different effects. In this case it is necessary to observe the following order: first to inhale the bronchodilator, then after 10-15 minutes - mucolytics, and only after the sputum discharge - anti-inflammatory drug. Those who often get sick, the doctor can prescribe prophylactic inhalations based on interferon, which has an immunomodulatory effect.
What substances can not be used in a nebulizer?
Practically any drug and saline solution can create a solution for use in a nebulizer. The main thing is to follow the rules described in the instruction manual of this device and use only substances that can be used in a certain model.
In many models it is not recommended to use solutions containing oil. Leave the inhaler out of action can also decoctions and infusions of herbs. It is best not to use solutions based on distilled water for inhalation, because There are cases when she caused bronchospasm.
Effective cough medicine for adults. Medications for nebulizer with cough
Coughing can not always be a symptom of the disease, it is an important defensive reflex of the body, which makes it possible to get rid of sputum and foreign bodies in the airways. When to start treatment and which cough medicine should be taken better, you should ask the doctor. After all, the most expensive drug is not always the most effective. If you understand, sometimes the best is just a cough medicine, the price of which varies within reasonable limits.
The disease can be caused by a number of negative factors. A sudden cough reflex helps to clear the throat and respiratory passage from foreign particles, microbes that irritate the mucous membranes. By its nature, it is both involuntary and intentional. There are three phases of the cough reflex:
- The forced exhalation with the closed voice gap which is in an average part of a throat;
- When opening the glottis, an explosive release of air occurs, so the cough has a characteristic sound.
The cause of the disease are respiratory tract infections, such as a cold or flu. Viruses can settle in the body and show up with various symptoms in a few days. Smoking also belongs to the category of the most common causes of the appearance of a cough with a characteristic sound, which is called "smoker's cough". In this case, the disease is chronic and poorly treatable. Asthma often develops in childhood and includes characteristic wheezing, which makes it easy to identify the disease. Severe forms of asthma require long-term treatment, otherwise the disease takes a chronic form and stays with the person until the end of life.
Other factors that cause a cough reflex include damage to the vocal cords, bacterial infections (pneumonia, whooping cough, bronchitis), pulmonary embolism, heart failure, gastro-food reflux, as well as psychological problems and some medicinal preparations.
Classification of the disease
Before choosing a cough medicine for adults, you should determine what type of cough it is. Distinguish the following types of manifestation of the disease:
- acute - appears suddenly and lasts up to 2-3 weeks;
- subacute - this type can last from 3 to 8 weeks;
- chronic - persists for more than 8 weeks;
- wet, moist or productive - flows with the formation of sputum, rising up the respiratory tract;
- dry or unproductive - an agonizing barking cough, in which no sputum is formed;
- night - occurs only at night, during sleep of the patient.
Correctly identified type of ailment will allow to choose an effective cough medicine for adults, which will quickly remove the symptoms of the disease and ease the patient's condition.
Diagnosis of the disease
Typically, an experienced doctor determines the nature of the disease, referring to his medical experience, but sometimes additional diagnostic tests may be required. Before deciding which cough medicines are better in this or that case, the diseases of the internal organs (heart, stomach, thyroid), which provoke an involuntary contraction of the lungs, diaphragms and cause disease.
Additional diagnostic tests include sputum specimens, chest X-ray, spirometry and the like. Cough infectious nature is treated with certain drugs, for bacterial use completely different medications. If, for example, a patient is diagnosed with asthma, the patient is prescribed specific drugs.
Than to treat an infectious cough
Infectious, or viral, cough has its own characteristics. Usually it develops suddenly, within 1-2 days, and can be quite irritating. Additional signs include headache, malaise, sometimes fever. In some cases, the infection affects not only the airways, but also the nasopharynx, then the symptoms are connected with a runny nose. The medicine for the throat and cough in this case should be aimed at combating the viral infection. Relieving the symptoms, as long as the immune system will get rid of the infection, will promote the use of drugs "Paracetamol" Ibuprofen "or" Aspirin. " They will help reduce heat, reduce the manifestation of pain. Prices for such drugs are low and range from 150-300 rubles. Before taking such a cough medicine during pregnancy, you should carefully study the instructions so as not to harm the future baby.
During treatment the patient should receive a plentiful drink to prevent dehydration and, as grandmothers like to say, "wash out" the infection from the body. An important component of treatment will be giving up smoking (if this harmful habit takes place). Tobacco smoke not only provokes the disease, but also aggravates its course. Do not use any medicine for dry coughing for adults. Sucking candies will help to remove irritation and sore throat. Antibiotics are usually not recommended, since they do not kill a viral infection.
Treatment of bacterial cough
Medications for bronchitis and cough are aimed at diluting sputum and improving the process of its withdrawal. A bacterial disease is a complication of a viral infection when a secondary infection with microbes (bacteria) occurs. Such phenomena can lead to the development of bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, pleurisy and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract. In this case, the most effective cough drug for adults, called an antibiotic, is prescribed. It is necessary to eliminate bacterial infection, the symptoms of which are characterized by fever, fatigue, weakness, chest pain, heavy breathing, which is often accompanied by a whistle and wheezing. If the cough lasts a long time, then there may be blood in the sputum. Unfortunately, the bacteria adapt very well, prolonged use of antibiotics makes them more resistant to various therapies. In inpatient treatment, patients are prescribed medications for bronchitis and cough in various combinations of drugs in order to obtain more effective results of therapy.
It is important to remember that all antibiotics should be used for their intended purpose. The effect of these drugs on the body with time weakens. If the prescribed course of treatment is not completed, the likelihood of drug-resistant strains of microorganisms will increase. That is why it is very important to continue treatment with antibiotics as much as prescribed by the attending physician, without stopping therapy after the disappearance of the symptoms.
Productive or unproductive?
A productive, or wet, cough is often useful, because it helps the lungs and bronchi to get rid of mucus and sputum, so it does not make any sense to suppress it. In more serious cases, the doctor may prescribe a special cough medicine with sputum in order to improve the process of its excretion and to facilitate breathing to the patient.
Dry, or unproductive, cough is characterized by painful symptoms: a sensation of continuous perspiration in the throat, headaches and pains in the trachea (or bronchi). Sputum is not formed, which prevents the patient from clearing his throat.
The medicine for dry coughing for adults should help to soften it and remove the formed sputum. As soon as it starts to separate, we can assume that the recovery is already close, and until this time the infection will be firmly "sitting" in the airways. Which one to choose a cough medicine for adults, largely depends on the cause of its appearance (infection, allergy and so on). In the allergic nature of the disease, the patient is prescribed antihistamines, with viral - antiviral drugs, and for bacterial - antibiotics. To drugs that alleviate the symptoms of the disease and improve the process of expectoration, include funds "Bromgeksin" Ambroxol "Mukaltin" and other mucolytics. If the symptoms of the disease are so painful that they interfere with sleeping, the best cure for dry coughing for adults is suppressive drugs that suppress the cough reflex. They include medicines "Folkodin" Codterpin "Sinekod" and others. Very useful for non-productive cough milk with the addition of baking soda, mineral water "Borjomi" or any other natural mineral water. A good expectorant is syrups and potions, for example the preparation "Broncholitin syrups of plantain, althea root, ivy.
Cough medicines with sputum are called expectorants. They facilitate the passage of mucus from the bronchi and lungs and facilitate its rapid excretion. Taking expectorants is necessary if a large amount of thick mucus is produced. To this category of drugs, such as cough medicines with sputum, include tablets and syrups "Lazolvan" Prospan "Givalex" Flavamed "ACTS" and others. Prices for medicines range from 250-400 rubles. The same remedy can not be taken for a long period, as the body may become addicted to this drug, and treatment will become ineffective. Useful walks in the fresh air, copious drinking and inhalation, if a wet cough is diagnosed. The medications that the patient takes are to be prescribed by the doctor, since self-medication can have bad consequences.
Treatment during pregnancy
During pregnancy, any treatment should be treated with great care, and coughing is no exception. Of course, expecting the birth of a baby, a woman should take care of her health and try not to get sick. In case of illness, one should not engage in self-medication, because the best cough medicine for pregnancy is that which does not harm the child. As a rule, future mothers prefer folk medicine, but there are also some pitfalls. The fact is that not all medicinal plants are equally useful: some of them may be poisonous or toxic. Before beginning treatment for cough during pregnancy, you should always consult with your doctor about the appropriateness and safety of taking these or other medications. Of the medications that are sold in the pharmacy, you can use the syrup of althea root and plantain, syrup "Prospan" Givalex "Erespal".
A safe medicine for the throat and cough for pregnant women is home-made lollipops. The only contraindication to the use of therapeutic candies (or to reduce their number) is an increased level of sugar in the blood. To prepare medicinal candies, you need to mix the sugar with the broth of thyme. Proportions for mixing: 300 grams of sand 100 ml of broth. Dissolve the sugar in the broth of thyme, pour into enameled dishes and put on fire. Cook the syrup for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. As soon as the mass begins to solidify, spoon it into silicone molds for ice. Such candies can be absorbed throughout the day, the cough will pass by the end of the first - the maximum of the second day of treatment.
The cough medicine, the price of which is relatively small, is also prepared at home. For pregnant women, this remedy is the safest and no less effective. To make it, you need one liter of milk and 1 large carrot. Carrots cleaned, cut into 2-3 parts, put in milk and put on a slow fire to languish. When the milk boil half, it should be filtered, cooled and dripped during the day in small portions in a warm form.
Use of nebulizer in the treatment of cough
A nebulizer is a device that is used to deliver a medicine directly into the respiratory tract to the lungs. He does this by converting the liquid medicine into an aerosol that can be easily inhaled.
Medications for nebulizer for cough include:
- Inhaled corticosteroids - drugs that reduce inflammation in the respiratory pass, which is due to its edema;
- bronchodilators - drugs used in the treatment of asthma;
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract, but do not control the symptoms of allergic asthma.
Prevention of cough in adults
If a person has a cough, treatment, drugs not only produce a positive effect, but also have a negative effect on the body: they undermine the immune system. Rather, it will deal with preventive measures and strengthen immunity to prevent disease. Preventive measures include the following:
- It should avoid hypothermia, wear warm clothes in the cold season.
- It is often necessary to wash your hands during the cold season and infectious diseases. This will help prevent the spread of the virus that causes the cough.
- Avoid contact with people who have symptoms of colds or infectious diseases, of course, if possible.
- Refuse to smoke any tobacco products (including hookah). A dry, jerky "smoker's cough" means that a person's lungs are constantly irritated. This circumstance can lead not only to any complications such as bronchitis or pneumonia, but also to more serious oncological problems.
- It is important to avoid exposure to tobacco smoke (so-called "passive smoking") at home, at work, in public places.
- Increase the amount of fluid consumed per day. This will keep the level of mucus in the respiratory tract within normal limits and prevent dehydration of the body.
- During the cold season and infectious diseases, you should be vaccinated against the flu every year.