How to treat cough with phlegm?Cough with phlegm in a child is a protective mechanism by which the respiratory system is cleansed of substances that irritate it. These can be chemical or physical substances. Most often, coughing in children is provoked by bacteria, toxins, dust, smoke, foreign bodies. Due to wet cough, a large amount of sputum is released outside. If it is rare it is normal, thus, outwardly displays an excess amount of guttural mucus.
When a child is healthy he coughs no more than 15 times a day, he does it in the morning, this way the respiratory system is cleared. A baby can cough because of getting into the respiratory tract milk, mucus of the nose, tears. In infants, a wet cough is triggered by increased secretion of saliva during teething.
When should you take measures when you have a wet cough in a child?
1. The child begins to cough suddenly, he does not get to clear his throat, he starts to choke.
2. In addition to a damp cough, shortness of breath occurs.
3. High body temperature above 38 degrees.
4. The child does not eat for a long time.
5. Cough accompanied by strong wheezing.
6. Sputum in a child with blood, green.
7. The child complains of chest pains.
8. Cough strangles the child at night, he can not fully sleep.
9. A wet cough lasts more than two weeks, for months.
All this indicates a serious illness of the respiratory system, so it is very important to take the necessary measures in a timely manner.
Causes of wet cough in children
1. Infections that affect the upper respiratory tract - ARI, ARVI.
2. In cases of obstructive bronchitis.
3. Because of pneumonia.
4. Cough is typical for bronchial asthma, various allergic reactions.
5. Because of a common cold, most often allergic.
6. With tuberculosis, lung abscess.
Sputum type in a child with a damp cough
Treatment will depend on the type of secretion secreted:
1. For bronchitis, tracheitis is characterized by a large amount of sputum.
2. Pneumonia is characterized by sputum rusty color.
3. In the inflammatory process of the respiratory tract, sputum is watery.
4. Bronchial asthma is accompanied by viscous vitreous sputum.
5. In cases of tuberculosis, heart problems, sputum appears with blood.
6. With abscess of the lungs, bronchiectasis, sputum with pus and unpleasant odor.
Methods for treating wet cough in children
Note that in childhood, sputum departs worse than in an adult. Because sputum differs in its viscosity, the respiratory musculature of the child is not developed. If a child has a long time in the bronchi, the bacteria multiply actively in it, because of this the disease is complicated, a person can not recover for a long time. To cure a wet cough in a child, you need to withdraw sputum as soon as possible.
Drugs include mucolytics, with the help of which they can form sputum, and dilute it, to relieve the viscosity I will help expectorant medications - Pectusin, breastfeeding, Dr. Mom, solutan. Also used are synthetic drugs such as ATSTS, ambroksom, bromheksin, often prescribed treatment with lazolvanom. With the help of their fast output in the child thick sputum, which is typical for pneumonia and cystic fibrosis.
In no case can not be used from a wet cough medicine for coughing, they will further aggravate the disease, sputum will settle in the bronchi or lungs, the inflammatory process will begin to develop.
When the child becomes easier, you do not need to continue to give medicines, especially if the baby is eating normally, actively moving, he can cough it up himself.
Breast children can get rid of sputum with the help of rubbing your back, chest, you need to do this very carefully. Children who are more than 5 years old can be treated with a wet cough with steam inhalations, using soda, herbal infusions, essential oils and iodine.
Children often suffer from various allergic manifestations, so if you notice a rash on the skin, a pain in the abdomen, you should immediately contact your doctor and cancel the drug.
What are the conditions for a child with a wet cough?
1. The optimum room temperature is 20 degrees.
2. The air must be clean, free of dust, because it can further aggravate the disease, negatively affects the condition of the lungs.
3. In the room where there is a sick child, there should be no carpets, blankets, soft toys.
4. When you do the vacuuming, the child needs to be moved to another room.
5. Refuse the means of household chemicals, perfumes, aerosols, paints.
6. To monitor the humidity of air, it should not dry out. Because the child will not develop protective substances that enter the mucus. The sputum thickens, it will be difficult to expectorate it. Note that in the viscous sputum bacteria like to breed.
7. The higher the humidity in the room, the more productive the cough.
8. As much as possible the child should drink fluids - tea with lemon, mors, compotes with dried fruits, mineral still water.
9. To saturate the body of the child with the necessary amount of salts, minerals, it is necessary to use Regidron.
10. To walk with the child in the open air. So he can quickly get stronger. But do not let the child run actively, you should not allow increased sweating, because if he loses fluid, the viscosity of phlegm will increase even more, the mucous membranes will be inadequate to work, cough even more will increase.
11. With a wet cough, a child should not constantly adhere to bed rest, the more he moves, the faster the sputum goes.
Thus, before you treat a wet cough in a child, you need to consult a doctor who is treating you if you need to do this. Then create all the necessary conditions and apply only medicines to the doctor's prescription. Treatment is necessary in the event that the disease is aggravated, and for a long time does not pass.
What can be a strong cough with sputumA strong cough with phlegm is always unpleasant, constant attempts to clear throat, secretion of a badly smelling liquid irritate the patient and surrounding, a similar condition occurs in different diseases, but in order for the treatment to be effective, it is necessary to accurately determine the cause disease.
Cough with phlegm is a syndrome of inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, in which purulent or serous discharge accumulates in the bronchi and lungs.
Causes of cough with phlegm
1. The most common cause is viral diseases in the resolution stage, cough is not too strong, there is little sputum, it is clear and liquid, in case of bacterial infection, sputum becomes more abundant, thick, yellow or greenish in color, with an admixture pus. If after an acute respiratory viral or cold the cough has increased in the child, and there is abundant sputum, then you should carefully monitor its condition: increase body temperature, severe deterioration of the condition, frequent, severe cough suggest the spread of inflammation in the lower parts of the bronchi and lungs.
2. Sinusitis and sinusitis - inflammatory diseases of the nasal sinuses are often accompanied by a strong moist cough due to the flow of fluid in the respiratory tract. In this case, the patient has a cough without raising the body temperature, increasing in the morning hours. In such a situation, you need to treat the underlying disease, and not a symptom.
3. Bronchitis is a strong moist cough with hard-to-separate sputum, the main symptom of progressive inflammation bronchus, as the disease develops, cough becomes more severe, and sputum is released in more quantity.
4. An excruciating frequent cough with hardly-detachable sputum in a child occurs with such an infectious disease as whooping cough, This disease is characterized by very strong, painful attempts to clear the throat, possibly the occurrence of vomiting, loss of consciousness and dyspnea. If the child has an increase in body temperature, wheezing and frequent coughing attacks, it is necessary to urgently consult a pediatrician, since it is necessary to treat whooping cough in the hospital.
5. Pneumonia - frequent and severe cough, accompanied by the release of a large amount of purulent sputum, occurs with pneumonia, in In this case, a child or an adult has a sharp increase in body temperature to 39-40, weakness, chest pain and general worsening state.
6. Chronic diseases - a constant cough with phlegm, without raising the body temperature, may be a symptom of such chronic lung diseases, such as: tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, oncological processes in lungs.
7. Allergic diseases - constant irritation of the mucous membranes with allergies can trigger the appearance of a moist cough that intensifies in the morning hours with a scant separation of a transparent "glass" phlegm.
To treat a moist cough you need to start by determining the cause of its appearance. Most often it occurs due to a viral or bacterial infection, in this case, the main purpose of treatment is the removal of microorganisms from the respiratory tract, their purification and regeneration.
1. Mucolytic and expectorant drugs - dilute sputum and promote its excretion from the bronchi and lungs. In the treatment of a child most often used: Bromhexin, Ambro (Ambroxol, Ambrobene), licorice syrup, ACC, Lazolvan and other expectorant sprays or syrups.
2. It is necessary to drink a few liters of alkaline liquid per day, this will help to avoid dehydration and facilitate the excretion of phlegm.
3. Very useful physiotherapy procedures - especially when treating a child of the first years of life, consult your doctor about the possibility of prescribing physiotherapy or spend it at home - for this use warming ointments and compresses on the chest, mustard or just dry heat on the neck and breasts.
4. Folk methods - "grandmother's recipes" can be used as an additional treatment or mild forms of the disease, but, in any case, it is necessary to consult with your doctor doctor.
- lemon with honey - mix 100 grams of honey and 1 mashed lemon, use 1 teaspoon before eating,
- sage infusion - a full tablespoon of dry leaves pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist, dilute with the same amount of warm water or milk and drink during the day. Infusion is contraindicated in pregnant and lactating mothers,
- juice of black radish with honey - mix 100 g of honey with the juice of 1 black radish, the dose for an adult patient - on a half-spoonful of the composition 2-3 times a day.
Treatment for a wet cough should be done under the supervision of a doctor, since only a qualified specialist can determine the cause of the disease precisely.
Why there is a wet cough in the child and how to cure it
A wet cough in a child can indicate various diseases, some of which pose a threat to life, for example, pneumonia. In order to find out what causes cough with a lot of sputum, you need to contact a pediatrician or a children's otolaryngologist. If the infant is sick, it should be done as soon as possible, without delay, as the condition can deteriorate rapidly. The diagnosis on the basis of cough alone is impossible, so the doctor conducts an examination, temperature measurement and listening to the lungs with a phonendoscope. Sometimes specific studies are required, for example, bronchoscopy and laryngoscopy.
In what cases should I seek emergency help:
- the child coughs very much, there is shortness of breath and wheezing, cough is spasmodic, the child can not he stops coughing and starts to choke - this condition can lead to respiratory failure and of death;
- in the sputum appears blood, rusty clots, bright yellow or bright green pus;
- During a cough, the nasolabial triangle turns blue, lips turn pale.
Blood may appear in the sputum due to a severe inflammatory process or because the blood vessel has been damaged during intensive coughing.It should not be frightened, but it is urgent to seek advice from a pediatrician. In most cases, a wet cough in children is indicative of colds that are treated 10 to 14 days with properly selected medications. Prescribe the treatment should a pediatrician who sees before him the whole clinical picture. Coughing is a way to clear the airways and remove mucus accumulations from them, in order to ensure patency. If this is an infectious disease, then the mucus contains pathogenic microorganisms and dead protective cells - thus, excretion of sputum accelerates recovery. If the cough is caused by an allergy, then together with the phlegm the particles of the allergen are removed, and the child's condition improves.
Foreign bodyIn rare cases, there is another reason why a small child coughs a lot - it's getting a small object into the respiratory tract, for example, a rice seed or parts from a toy. To exclude this possibility, you need to visit a pediatrician who will examine the baby. When a foreign body enters the respiratory tract, it is also observed:
- runny nose with lots of mucus;
- anxiety and crying of a child;
- difficulty breathing;
- swelling of the nose and throat.
This situation requires urgent medical attention, since without treatment a child may suffocate. For such a trauma is characterized by a sharp development of symptoms, in contrast to catarrhal diseases, where deterioration of the state of health occurs more smoothly.
Common diseasesThe causative agents of the inflammatory process in the lungs and in the upper respiratory tract of the child may be viruses or bacteria, in rare cases fungi. Prescribing medicines should be used to combat a particular variety of pathogenic microorganisms, so the doctor finds out what caused the disease. The most common diseases in which there is a strong cough with phlegm:
- abscess of the lung;
- bronchial asthma.
Infants often have a disorder of the stool and abdominal discomfort in the background of catarrhal diseases. Even if the temperature of the child is not increased, there may be signs of intoxication, such as:
- heaviness in the head;
- lack of appetite;
- weakness, fatigue, fatigue;
- nausea, in infants - regurgitation more than usual.
If the immune system is not able to quickly cope with the infection, the disease can occur without temperature.
Often, chronic bronchitis and laryngotracheitis in children are accompanied by a coughing of pale green and yellow sputum, but the temperature does not increase. In order to make the phlegm more fluid and help to remove it from the respiratory tract, you can use a refluxing syrup or a medicine. However, this is not a treatment for the disease, but simply alleviates the symptom. What are the popular drugs used for wet cough in children?
- Doctor Mom;
- antiviral drugs such as Anaferon, Arbidol, Aflubin, if there is a suspicion of a viral infection;
- antibiotics, for example, "Carbenicillin "Penicillin "Amoxicillin" - for bacterial infections;
- antihistamines, if the child has swelling of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract.
Treatment of pneumonia and lung abscess should be carried out only in the hospital, since these diseases can cause dangerous consequences, up to a lethal outcome.
In the treatment of pneumonia, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics against specific microorganisms are used. Bronchial asthma requires the appointment of steroid drugs during the acute phase, and then complex treatment should be selected to maintain remission.
In children, bronchial asthma with a strong cough can be caused by an allergy to dust, animal hair, food or a flowering plant.
Allergy as the cause of a cough
Usually the parents of allergic children clearly know what the child has an acute reaction to. But even in those children who have never had a respiratory allergy before, it can occur the first time.The allocation of mucus is associated with the need to clean the mucosa from the smallest particles of the irritant, so a copious runny nose and sputum separation helps to remove the allergen from the body. The danger of a cough with an allergic component is that as a result of an edema the airways narrow, the child begins to lack air. As the nature of the mucus is supposed to determine the disease caused by cough:
- with light-colored sputum allergy and a uniform consistency;
- with bronchitis and laryngotracheitis, the color of the sputum varies from yellow-green to white, there are inclusions of pus;
- when pneumonia appears in the sputum, blood and rusty clots;
- at an abscess of a lung the sputum has a strong and unpleasant smell, in it pus is appreciable.
With allergies, antihistamines such as Tavegil, Claritin and Suprastin are used, they can quickly alleviate allergies, remove swelling and save from a wet cough. However, these are only symptomatic agents. In order for the treatment to be effective, you need to contact a pediatric allergist and find out the exact list of allergens.
How is recovery
If a child has a catarrhal disease, the bed rest should be observed throughout the illness, do not overcool, and do not attend kindergarten and school..
For a speedy recovery, you need to provide a diet that is easy to digest without sharp, fried and stiff food. If the temperature is no longer for more than a day, you can apply warming procedures, for example, hot foot baths or pepper plaster. Before using any methods of traditional medicine on a child, you need to make sure that it's safe.
Sometimes pneumonia occurs without fever, parents take it for a cold disease and begin to cover the throat and chest of the child with warming compresses. As a result, the inflammatory process spreads inward and in breadth and the child is hospitalized in a life-threatening condition. If a wet cough in a child under one year does not pass within 2 days, it is necessary to visit a pediatrician. If the doctor has prescribed antibiotics or antiviral drugs, and within 3-4 days there is no improvement, you need to visit it again to adjust the course of treatment. Some viruses and bacteria acquire resistance to medicines, so children do not recover for a long time..
Normally, colds without complications should take place within 2 weeks.
Strong cough with phlegm in the morning
Often there is a cough in the morning with phlegm. This is a fairly common phenomenon. It is a kind of reflex act that occurs when the respiratory muscles contract and jerk out with sudden shocks. There is a cough during the stimulation of sensitive receptors in the respiratory system. Even the body itself clears the respiratory tract from accumulated mucus and fluid, harmful microorganisms and foreign bodies with the help of cough.
What are the causes of morning cough with phlegm?
The first thing to remember is that morning cough is not a disease. Coughing, especially in the morning, is a sure sign of an inflammatory process that occurs in the airways. This inflammation leads to the appearance of so-called sputum, which is deposited on the trachea and bronchi.
And what is this so-called sputum? This kind of mucus, containing a large number of products of interaction of the body with various pests, for example, with viruses or bacteria. Sometimes in the sputum there may be blood. Basically this is not a consequence of serious problems.
But why is there such a cough in the morning? What are the reasons? There can be many. The main reason is smoking. When a person smokes, a lot of mucus is formed in his respiratory tract, which in the process turns into phlegm. Also, smoking contributes to the paralysis of the finest hairs in the airways. Because of this, sputum is excreted only with the help of a morning cough. Other reasons:
- Pneumonia. There is a dry cough that turns into a cough with sputum secretions. Sputum color may vary. It depends on the bacteria that are in it.
- Cold. At usual cold there is an expectoration of a sputum. It is worth noting that it often contains pus and mucus.
- Asthma. At the initial stages of the disease appears dry cough, at times - hoarseness in the voice. Then intensifies in the voice of hoarseness, and the dry cough turns into a cough with phlegm.
- Bronchitis is chronic. When bronchitis is blocked by the respiratory tract, forming a phlegm. Sometimes it can contain pus.
- Lungs' cancer. At the beginning of the disease, there is a cough with blood veins and a lot of sputum. This cough slowly turns into a chronic form.
- Tuberculosis. This disease is accompanied by a cough with a small amount of purulent or bloody sputum.
Of course, this is not all the reasons for which there may be a cough in the morning. And it is better not to engage in self-medication. It will be safer to turn to a specialist. Causes should be established by the doctor, using for this purpose a survey and comparison of the obtained data. When all data is collected and studied, it is possible to make a scheme of treatment and select the necessary medications.
Many people have a question: does it happen that the doctor can not establish the cause of the cough with phlegm? This happens, but it is very rare. Basically, these are mistakes and failures in the determination of dry cough. When coughing with sputum, any methods of examination and diagnosis without problems highlight the real cause of the disease. Although there are cases that the attending physician can not diagnose.
Causes in the morningMorning cough with discharge is mainly a consequence of bronchitis or sinusitis, but do not forget about bronchiectasis or cystic fibrosis (hereditary disease).
The specialist even before receiving all the test results is able to determine the cause of this cough. But he must appoint a mandatory examination, which will confirm or refute the arguments.
A man himself can roughly determine his illness. At a bronchitis and a genyantritis it is allocated a lot of a sputum, and a clearing up occurs very easily. Bronchitis and sinusitis are not accompanied by high fever. If it is a bronchoectatic disease, then the cough is more painful and long, it does not always clear up to the end.
Treatment for cough with phlegm
When treating cough with phlegm, it is necessary to take drugs with expectorant action.These are medications such as bromhexine, ambrromgsal, lazolvan and others. In addition, you can use the herbal infusions, which contribute to expectoration. They make broths of St. John's wort or Labrador tea, and also often use breastfeeding.
Do not forget about the warming compresses. It is very popular in folk medicine mustard plasters or cans, and also grating black radish. You can also use its juice, mixing it with honey or sugar. Doctors advise to do inhalations with the addition of ventolin or ambroben, which must be carried out at least 5 times a day.Treatment should be appointed by a doctor. Self-treatment can not be. Sometimes it happens that the doctor is diagnosed, the patient is prescribed treatment, and cough with phlegm does not go away. What to do in this case?
The first step is to repeatedly contact a doctor. He must write new recipes. This is the most reasonable thing a patient can do. But in most cases, people prefer more traditional medicine, stubbornly ignoring traditional methods of treatment.
Indeed, most of the recipes of traditional medicine are very effective. Although not all of these recipes are universal. Some infusions can help the patient, others will not give effect, and others will harm the person. For example, allergic people are forbidden folk drugs, which contain a root of licorice and althaea. And even with herbs you need to be very careful.
Partly advise to breathe over potatoes and put compresses on the chest of the same potato with additions of sunflower oil or honey, vodka or beer (it must be hot), propolis. The patient can choose what suits him and can not hurt him. But do not forget that in severe cases, traditional medicine will not give the proper result. The main thing in the search for the right means is not to contact friends for help. What helped one does not have to help the other.
Treatment of cough with sputum during pregnancy
To treat expectant mothers is very difficult and difficult, but extremely important and necessary. We must ensure that they are very careful about health at the initial stages of pregnancy. But even this often does not save them from a coughing cough. The question arises: what to do if there was a cough?.
Cough for pregnant women is very dangerous. He is able to provoke a miscarriage if the woman has an increased tone of the uterus. In addition, the inflammatory process is the cause of polyhydramnios. To avoid this, you need a special therapist who follows the treatment of pregnant women. It can be found in any women's consultation.
Cough in the baby
Bronchitis children are sick very often. Such a cough in a child rarely causes serious complications. But just in case, you need to check the child and exclude all diseases of a hereditary nature. For this purpose it is necessary to address to the children's pulmonologist, that that has understood in the reasons of illness.
If necessary, the pulmonologist will connect other specialists to the survey.
You need to trust doctors and not engage in self-medication. If treatment is carried out at home, then it is necessary to act strictly according to the doctor's instructions. If the doctor ordered to put the child in the hospital, then do not give up on it..
When treating a child, you can turn to traditional medicine, but only with the permission of a doctor. You can breathe over the pot with fresh potatoes, so that the steam penetrates into the bronchi. For the night, it is necessary to put on the child tights, and on top - socks, pour in them mustard powder.
In addition, if the cause of cough with phlegm is tracheitis, then such heating will be very useful. Follow the recommendations of your doctor and be healthy!
Cough with phlegm without temperature - how to treat?Everyone knows that cough is a protective reaction of the body. With his help, a person is released from sputum, as well as various harmful substances. Many people ask: why does a cough develop without temperature? What does this symptom speak about? Quite often a strong cough, in which there are no signs of a cold, acute respiratory viral infection, influenza, indicates a very severe allergic reaction.
Causes of a wet cough without temperature
A person can cough when inhaling dust or other allergens. Also a strong cough appears in the case of polluted air. To clarify the diagnosis is best to complete a complete examination.
It is important to understand that a painful wet cough without a rise in temperature can indicate a serious illness of respiratory organs, lungs. Sometimes a coughing fit occurs after a person inhales corrosive gases, tobacco smoke, or food gets into his respiratory tract.
Different color of sputum when coughing
During the diagnosis, the coloring of sputum is of no small importance, and one must pay attention to it, because it indicates the development of a serious respiratory disease:
- Pneumoniaalmost always accompanied by yellow-green or yellow sputum.
- Bronchial asthmahas a clear and dense sputum.
- Croupous pneumoniaaccompanied by the release of rusty sputum.
- Gangrene lungsalmost always when cough accompanied by phlegm green.
- Pulmonary edemacharacterized by frothy sputum.
- Malignant lung tumoraccompanied by phlegm with blood fibers.
- Bronchitis or influenzacharacterized by a yellow-green, purulent sputum with blood.
- Lung infarctionaccompanied by bright red sputum.
- Fungal lung infectioncharacterized by a cough with white lumpy phlegm.
How to get rid of a wet cough without temperature for a day?
With timely treatment, you can quickly get rid of this unpleasant symptom. To do this, folk healers recommend that you pay attention to the healing collection, which includes: linseed, linden, plantain, mother-and-stepmother. Take a tablespoon of herbal collection and brew in a glass of boiling water.
Also, be sure to try these time-tested recipes:
- Fig with milk. It is necessary to take 250 ml of milk, add in it figs (2 tablespoons), all boil on a small fire. Insist for about half an hour, then grind to a mellow consistency. Use three times a day.
- Cranberry juice with honey.Add a tablespoon of honey to a glass of juice.
- Lime teahelp quickly get rid of a wet cough. You need to take half a glass of water, add 100 grams of honey and 200 grams of lime, and also put 100 grams of birch buds. Warm up all about 20 minutes. After straining the mixture, add another teaspoon of aloe juice. The remedy is taken after breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Berries of Kalina.Boil the viburnum, then mix it with honey in equal proportions. Take no more than a tablespoon.
- Badger fatis the best anti-inflammatory. It helps to get rid of even a prolonged cough. You need to take a small amount of fat and rub your breasts. This curative product will help you quickly cure a wet cough that has long been troubling.
How to treat a severe cough without fever?
Note that using antibiotics when coughing without temperature, there is no point. Perhaps this kind of cough appeared after the inhalation of toxic substances, as well as after smoking, in case of an allergic reaction, infection with ascarids, worms and after prolonged exposure to dust.
Antibiotics are prescribed only if a person has tracheitis, bronchitis, laryngitis, pneumonia or tuberculosis. A strong wet cough without high fever, still need to be treated, strictly adhering to the basic medical recommendations.
Many are mistaken when they think that a wet cough without temperature can not be a sign of pneumonia. Quite a lot of cases when pneumonia occurs without high temperature, therefore it is important to undergo examination:
- To hand over a sowing of a sputum.
- Make a fluorography of the lungs.
- To hand over the general analysis of a blood.
In order to get rid of a wet cough, you must first find out the exact cause of its appearance. In smokers most often it appears early in the morning, while sputum can be with blood. If, in addition to a cough, there is a runny nose, sore throat, most likely, you have ARVI.
Features of treatment of wet cough without fever in an infant
Sometimes a wet cough appears in the toddlers. What are the causes?
- Bronchial asthma.When the disease cough is almost always accompanied by a sputum discharge.
- A night attack of a cough.In children, a strong cough can be a symptom of a dangerous disease - whooping cough. Cure it with conventional medicines is not possible. In this case, there is a paroxysmal night cough with vomiting.
- Barking cough in babiesappears with an acute inflammatory process in the nose, larynx, nasopharynx. With a strong coughing, chest and stomach tighten. Wet coughing in a child, in which there is no temperature, is an alarming symptom, which immediately needs to contact the pediatrician.
So, do not think if a cough without temperature, it is not at all dangerous. This is not true! Wet cough, which does not pass a long time, indicates a serious pathological process in the body. It is important to establish the cause of its occurrence in a timely manner. When diagnosing a doctor, the doctor takes into account the nature of the sputum, how badly the symptom runs, conducts all the necessary tests, only then makes a decision about the treatment. To any cough you need to be treated quite seriously, otherwise everything can end with serious consequences. Do not joke with your health, do not do self-diagnosis and self-medication, just go to the doctor!
Strong cough without fever in the adult: causes, treatment and varieties
- Dry cough
- Prolonged cough
A severe cough without fever in an adult is a widespread symptom among people of young and old age.
Characteristic for various diseases, in the absence of treatment, prolonged coughing is steadily progresses in most cases, leading to the development of complications that significantly reduce the quality of life patient.
A growing strong cough without fever in an adult is a sign of an infectious process, characteristic of a decrease in immunity or for elderly patients.
Paroxysmal cough paroxysms are pathognomonic for the initial stages of whooping cough, which occurs without fever, runny nose and general impairment in children and adults. Night attacks are typical for exacerbation or debut of bronchial asthma as a result of irritation of the bronchial mucosa on the background of an allergic reaction. For asthma, a typical exhalation in the presence of a normal inhalation of air, hypersecretion of viscous sputum provokes the development of a strong cough without temperature in an adult and a child.
The causes of the pathological process are:
- nonspecific inflammation (ENT organs, upper respiratory tract, bronchi, trachea, lungs);
- infection (influenza, parainfluenza, measles, SARS, whooping cough, adenovirus, cytomegalovirus);
- allergy (pollinosis, sinusitis, bronchial asthma);
- trauma (foreign bodies, damage to the esophagus);
- cardiac arrhythmia (extrasystole, vegetovascular dystonia).
Manifestation of a symptom at night on the background of a stoppage of breathing and prolonged smoking in the anamnesis is a pathognomonic clinical picture of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Bronchitis of the smoker is transformed into an irreversible form, manifestations of which is a steadily progressing cough with the development of respiratory insufficiency of various degrees of severity.
Prolonged cough in an infant is a sign of the fistula of the thoracic esophagus, through which food enters the respiratory tract, causing irritation and a protracted inflammatory process.An incessant cough in childhood is a diagnostic problem that disrupts the physiological breathing and normal development of the child.
To suspect an infectious process the doctor will allow diagnostic examination, examination of sputum and the delivery of tests. Early treatment of severe cough without fever in adults and children is done taking into account the characteristics of the cough, its duration and the overall clinical picture.
Dry and wet cough differ depending on the stage and etiology of the process. Dry cough is the initial stage of inflammatory diseases, in which coughing tremors are a reflex mechanism. A dry, violent cough develops when foreign bodies enter the body, aimed at removing it from the upper respiratory tract. A moist cough is formed as a result of increased production of serous or purulent sputum, the ingestion of which into the lungs causes the development of pneumonia.
This complication is typical for people who have weak respiratory muscles and a sedentary lifestyle.Antitussives with a dry cough are used to stop the syndrome, eliminate inflammation of the mucous membrane. The purpose of the drug with moist cough promotes the development of severe forms of pneumonia. Expectorants with a damp cough are prescribed against the background of taking antibiotics to prevent the multiplication of pathogens.
When taking medication, you need to consume large amounts of water to dilute sputum. Breastfeeding is a folk remedy for cough, used in outpatient treatment. Herbal infusion is prepared in the following way: for 200 ml of boiling water dilute two or three tablespoons. collection, and then leave to insist for one hour. Feedback on the forums indicate the high effectiveness of this method for the treatment of dry and wet cough. The infusion is used 3 times a day for 10-14 days.
Dry cough without fever in an adult: a variety and their treatmentDry cough without fever in an adult has the following types and tactics of treatment.
Specific antiviral or antibacterial treatment is shown against the background of the use of expectorants and mokrotorazhizhayuschih drugs. The expediency of therapy is determined by the severity of the inflammatory process, in severe cases, in-patient treatment is required.
Removal of a foreign body is performed surgically or by bronchoscopy. Elimination of the cause of arrhythmia is under the control of a cardiologist, specific drugs are prescribed that stop the manifestation of extrasystole and vegetovascular dystonia.
Prolonged cough with phlegmis a sign of an infectious process, influenza, ARVI or pneumonia. Often accompanied by inflammation of the larynx, trachea and ENT organs. Accompanied by:
- high temperature;
- general weakness;
- decreased performance.
- Prolonged cough without phlegm(dry) is typical for allergic processes, bronchial asthma or the initial stages of infection (in the presence of rashes). An unproductive cough is accompanied by a sore throat, a throat, a heaviness in the head. Antiallergic therapy reduces exacerbation in the early stages.
- Prolonged cough without feverIs a characteristic syndrome of cardiac arrhythmia, foreign body entry to the mucosa or vocal cords. Diagnosis takes a long time, relief comes immediately after a targeted treatment, taking pills.
- Prolonged cough with phlegm without temperatureis formed with increased mucus production, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, prolonged smoking, and work with construction dust, asbestos or cotton wool. In addition, dry cough without temperature in an adult is manifested with pulmonary tuberculosis, open or closed form, lung radiography clarifies the diagnosis.
Treatment of chronic obstruction begins with quitting smoking and taking bronchodilators short or long-acting. With the growth of fibrotic processes in the bronchi, patients are assigned enzyme preparations, as well as hormone therapy. With pulmonary tuberculosis, the patient is sent for specific therapy to the physiotherapy department of the hospital.
A prolonged cough without fever in an adult: a type of treatmentA prolonged cough without fever in an adult requires an early onset of a specific treatment after going through a wide diagnostic examination to determine the exact cause of the onset.
A blood test, sputum culture, as well as instrumental and functional research methods allow differentiate allergic and infectious diseases, foreign bodies of the upper respiratory tract and esophagus.
General treatment includes:
- to give up smoking;
- general strengthening procedures;
- enhancing the immune properties of the body;
- removal of the allergen;
- frequent wet cleaning.
Prevention of acute respiratory infections and infections is aimed at limiting contacts during the epidemic period, regular intake of immunoprophylactic drugs, and routine vaccination according to the vaccination schedule.
Mantoux reaction allows detecting tuberculosis infection at early stages, initiating early specific therapy, which significantly reduces the risk of exacerbations.
Medical treatment has the following directions:
Preparations for infectious and fungal diseases that have caused a prolonged cough without temperature at the adult, are selected individually by the attending physician taking into account the clinical picture and the affected organ.With severe pain on the background of coughing, an urgent start of treatment is required because of the high stress on the respiratory musculature.
With asthma and allergic pharyngitis treatment begins with anti-allergic antihistamines drugs, which are supplemented with bronchodilators to facilitate breathing and eliminate symptoms of cough. The bronchodilators work almost immediately, they are taken in the form of inhalations according to the doctor's prescription.
Folk remedies are aimed at restoring the mucous membrane of the upper respiratory tract, reducing the production of sputum and mucus.Individual herbal infusions, such as oak bark, affect the degree of intensity of the inflammatory process, reducing the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes in the lesion.
Lime, marshmallow and plantain are used as antitussive drugs, but can be used only after consulting a doctor because of the risk of side effects. Breastfeeding is the safest and most versatile method for softly stopping a prolonged cough without fever in an adult and a child over 10 years of age..
What does the color of phlegm indicate when coughing?
Sputum is a secret that is produced by the bronchi and trachea.
The color of sputum when coughing is the most important indicator that will help to make the correct diagnosis.
In the normal state, there should be no discharge from the respiratory tract. The secret serves as a kind of barrier against the penetration of dirt and dust into the lungs.
Types of cough
At the onset of the inflammatory process, irritation of the nerve endings is accompanied by a profuse secretion of the bronchi and trachea. Through cough, the lungs are released from the microbes. When a person coughs, there is a sharp exhalation through the mouth due to irritation of the respiratory tract.Coughing is not a single disease, but only a symptom of many diseases. It can be classified according to the rhythm: paroxysmal, individual coughs, and a series of successive coughing tremors. The first type most often occurs in patients with asthma, whooping cough or when a foreign body enters the lungs. Coughs are characteristic for allergies, as well as for smokers. A sequential cough often occurs with bronchitis. As you can see, coughing is different for different diseases. That's why the doctor at the reception asks the patient about the nature and form of coughing.
By type, the cough is divided into two groups:
With a dry cough, inflammation of the pleura, larynx, dry bronchitis is most often diagnosed. In addition, if a dry cough does not pass for a long time, it is possible to develop tuberculosis. With any long unceasing cough, it is best to consult a doctor. Cases when a person starts up his illness, occur more often. Some people think that a wet cough that lasts a long time does not pose a danger. And already when there is shortness of breath, hemoptysis, weight loss and appetite, a person begins to sound an alarm. Therefore, it is very important to pay attention to the nature of the cough and the consistency of sputum (if it is).
Types of phlegm on coughingOf course, it is impossible to accurately diagnose a disease only by the color of sputum. However, coupled with other symptoms, this indicator will help to correctly diagnose, and then the doctor will prescribe a quality treatment. If a person is suffering from a severe cough with phlegm, it is important to pay attention to its color.
Mucous sputum is viscous substance colorless or whitish in color. More often such allocation can be at a bronchitis, an inflammation of lungs. In such cases, the doctor usually prescribes slimy mucus preparations: potions, syrups and tablets. With more severe course of the disease, an antibiotic is prescribed. In no case should you prescribe yourself a medicine yourself!
The fact is that the human body can be immune to certain types of antibiotic. A good doctor, first of all, will prescribe a test for reaction to all types of drugs. Proceeding from this, the necessary antibiotic is determined. With proper treatment, a strong cough with phlegm will not last long.
With swelling of the lung, serous sputum may be allocated. It has the appearance of a liquid foaming substance. Treatment is possible only under the supervision of a doctor.
Purulent sputum can be released during inflammation of the lungs and bronchi. It is preferable to immediately prescribe an antibiotic. Flesh-thinning medications will only remove it from the lungs and bronchi, but the inflammatory process will remain in place. And if you run it, it threatens to develop into a chronic pneumonia or bronchial asthma.With croupous pneumonia, the color of phlegm can turn brown by the third day. Initially, there is a dry and painful cough.
If sputum greenish shade is allocated with an unpleasant putrefactive smell, then it can be a gangrene of the lung or its abscess. A visit to the doctor in this case is mandatory, and it should be implemented as soon as possible.
Fungal infections of the respiratory system will certainly appear in the form of whitish curdled discharge. Necessarily antifungal therapy is prescribed (sometimes antibiotics), funds that restore the healthy flora of the body, drugs to raise immunity and vitamins. Beneficial effect on the treatment trip to the sea or visit special salt rooms.
Infarction of the lungs will manifest in the form of bright red admixtures of blood. It is better to call an ambulance.
Yellowish discharge from the lungs can appear in acute infectious diseases, such as: acute bronchitis, acute sinusitis. In addition, a yellowish shade of sputum may be in a smoker with a long history, and with an allergic cough.
As for any admixtures of blood - scarlet or brown, this sputum character can signal tuberculosis in neglected form, about lung cancer or pneumococcal infection. Self-medication is completely unacceptable.
Diagnosis and treatmentTo determine the cause, usually an analysis of morning excretions is prescribed. It is done or made it is mandatory on an empty stomach, after a preliminary rinse of a mouth a disinfectant solution. Then the patient coughs into a jar, and the contents are carefully examined in the laboratory. Based on the results of the tests, treatment is prescribed.
When infectious diseases are prescribed, respectively, an antibiotic, with allergies - antihistamines. The smoker has two options: either quit smoking, or continue to suffer a cough.
If the diagnosis is made and treatment is prescribed, several more rules should be followed. First: abundant warm drink. It can be herbal teas, fruit drinks or compotes, just water. Perfectly help in the treatment of herbal fees. But remember that the herbs should be used not as an independent means of treatment, but in tandem with medications. In severe cases, some fees will not help.
Still it is possible to carry out inhalations with saline or preparations for these purposes. They will help to remove the painful coughing spells and speed up the excretion of phlegm. It should be remembered that inhalations are strictly contraindicated for children under one year, and children under six years of age are only allowed with permission and under the supervision of a doctor. Now special devices for procedures are being sold - nebulizers. It is very easy and convenient to use. You can add to the inhaler and a decoction of chamomile or other herbs. A more detailed composition will tell the doctor.What should I do if my doctor prescribed medication and my cough did not go away? This is a definite reason to sound an alarm. It is best to contact your doctor again, who will send you for an X-ray. The most important thing is to exclude lung cancer, neglected tuberculosis. If these terrible diagnoses are not confirmed, then chronic bronchitis or the so-called smoker's bronchitis is possible.
The fact is that when smoking cilia lining the bronchi, do not cope with their task, namely: to detain pollution from the external environment. Resins and combustion products cause increased secretion secretion, followed by inflammation. Sputum during coughing usually worries all smokers, whose experience is more than 5 years.
It may also be that the cough only bothers you in the morning, but does not show itself at all the rest of the time. This phenomenon should not cause panic. It is possible that the lungs simply need to remove the slime accumulated overnight. However, remember that phlegm when coughing should not be much! A healthy person can stand out in very small quantities.
Prevention of lung diseases
To restore the respiratory system after illness, a trip to the sea is perfect. If there is no possibility to rest every year at the resorts, it is recommended to walk more often in the forest or park. Mandatory hardening, full nutrition (with the correct amount of fat), intake of vitamins by courses.
In the diet must necessarily be oily fish, nuts, lean meat, vegetables and fruits. Newfangled diets with low amounts of fat are contraindicated for people with weak lungs. Try to exercise regularly (swimming, running or just walking fast pace). Moderate physical activity strengthens the body as a whole and lungs in particular..
Timely contact with a doctor, properly selected treatment and compliance with preventive measures - all this will help to avoid respiratory diseases.